Things don’t get more Louisville than the Kentucky Derby and the weeks leading up to it with events surrounding the Derby Festival. With that in mind, the Voice-Tribune sent me to Summer Classics in Westport Village to shoot their annual Derby Fashion Show. Those photos appear in the upcoming issue of the Voice-Tribune. This post presents outtakes from last nights event. And just imagine, if here you see outtakes, you really should buy next week’s Voice for the good ones.
Churchill Downs‘ Steve Buttleman opened the runway part of the show by playing the Call to the Post as well as My Old Kentucky Home to make sure the assembled put themselves in the right frame of mind. The crowd received him well and even stood for the playing of the Kentucky state anthem.
Anyone familiar with Louisville’s relationship to the Kentucky Derby knows we pride ourselves on the array of hats that you see during Derby Festival events, as well as those out at Churchill Downs during the Kentucky Oaks (the Derby for fillies) and the Run For The Roses itself. See below for the various hats seen last night as well as other scenes from the Derby Fashion Show.
- Churchill Downs raises ticket prices for Kentucky Derby (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- ‘Run For The Roses’ Swaps Flowers (huffingtonpost.com)
- 2012 Kentucky Derby: The Road To Louisville (sbnation.com)
- Link Time: The Hottest Hats From the Kentucky Derby (bellasugar.com)
- Baffert assesses Kentucky Derby prospects (espn.go.com)
- It’s All About the Hats at the Kentucky Derby (popsugar.com)